July 8, 2012

Sustainable Sundays: The Sunday Newspaper

Newspaper and Coffee

Newspapers have seen a decline over the past decade. Many readers are turning to the Internet to get their daily news. If your daily passion is still reading the paper while sipping on a hot cup of coffee, just make sure you recycle it, or better yet upcycle it.  And here's a few good reasons why...

To produce each week's Sunday newspapers, 500,000 trees must be cut down.

Recycling a single run of the Sunday New York Times would save 75,000 trees.

27% of the newspapers produced in America are recycled.

If all our newspaper was recycled, we could save about 250,000,000 trees each year!

Recycling Facts from Green CADD Consulting & Education


With these stats in mind, I searched over 2,100 sustainable shops on our Upcyclers Etsy Team to see who was recycling their Sunday newspapers!

Check out some of the amazing ways I found shops upcycling the paper...

 
Wood pencils wrapped in an upcycled Sunday newspaper!

 
Each paper bead on the bracelet is hand wound using newspaper!


This upcycled garland consists of 24 paper houses and one big house to keep it all in.  Each house is created from doubled newspaper for durability.


"A newspaper is lumber made malleable. It is ink made into words and pictures. It is conceived, born, grows up and dies of old age in a day."
Jim Bishop

Hope your Sunday is a sustainable one!
Bee
The Wooden Bee
www.thewoodenbee.com

4 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks so much for featuring my pencils! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the houses garland! What good ideas for giving a new lease of life to all those fat sunday issues!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the ideas, I usually just recycle my papers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to spend my Sunday mornings with the LA Times and a cup of coffee. Reading it on the internet just isn't the same, relaxing experience. But I was raised by a recycling pioneer, so I've been a big time recycler since the 1960s. It never ceases to amaze me that we still have to remind people to recycle, and that recycling rates are so low. By now it should be second nature. Thanks for continuing to educate everyone.

    ReplyDelete