April 1, 2011

Love 2 DIY on the Weekend: Pencil Case

Are you guys having as much with the tutorials as I am? I would love to feature more of your shops but I am just asking Upcyclers randomly one at a time and I'm having a tough time finding willing participants. This week we are fortunate to have this fantastic upcycler, but if you would like to write a tutorial with great pictures please send me an email so I can get you on the schedule! Without further ado, enjoy this weeks guest tutorial post!

Creating Trouble Makes a Pencil Case!



It's been about 15 years since I made my last pencil-case, and this week it finally gave up and it frayed through. It was made out of an old pencil case and was quite unique. Anyway, I don't exactly use my pencil-case as I used to any more; I don't go to school any more (actually that's a lie - I go to school every day!) but it's still useful to have something to put your pens and pencils in - and I have quite a few.

So I decided that I need to make a new pencil-case, and figured this would be a good how-to for this month





My new pencil-case is made entirely out of upcycled products: an old pair of jeans (including the zip) and some strips of material that I had left over from the last elephant project.

1) Using a seam-unpicker, take the zip out of an old pair of jeans or trousers that you are going to make the main part of the case with. I have new-found admiration for jean manufacturers as those zips are seriously well sewn in. I think this part may have taken me the most time! 




2) Cut part of the leg from your jeans - make it about the size that you want your case to be. Think about the length of the zip as well - you don't want a pencil-case that is much longer than the opening. Open up the seams and cut your piece to the size you want it to be. It's going to be folded over not sewn along the bottom seam so it needs to be double the size of one side.




Can't wait to finish? For the rest of this tutorial please head over to Creating Trouble's blog and let her know you came by. 

3 comments:

  1. Adorable pencil case and great use of upcycled materials! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool when people share the process! Thanks, Creating Trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments - please feel free to stop by my blog too (www.creatingtrouble.co.uk) and leave a comment there too! Always happy for feedback!

    ReplyDelete