February 11, 2011

Love 2 DIY on the Weekend: Originally Posted on 'katiebyrd'

Oh, What CAN You Do With An Old Tin CAN? 

Ok, so I am always looking for new ways to turn trash into treasure. It seems like we have so many things that we encounter on a daily basis that get discarded or downcycled because of one major thing: lack of imagination. So I went in search of some inspiration for crafty-crafts to make out of all the products we used today. Yes, yes, I know what you’re thinking: “You can’t possibly a) remember everything you used today and b) make something super-cool out of everything you used today!!!” Ok, so you’re probably right, but here’s the inspirational collection of items I did manage to find. Maybe try your hand at these or maybe order them from a creative crafty person on Etsy or somewhere:

1. Instead of sitting in our recycle bin, that can of ginger ale P drank (because his tummy hurt) could be…a pair of EARRINGS! Wow – so did not see that one coming:



2. Instead of throwing away that old seed corn sack (ok, I am slightly embellishing the truth regarding the products I used today), it could be…a cool market tote!





3. Instead of tossing that old bike tire into the dumpster it could be…a neat-o clock!




4. Instead of putting that old wine bottle out for collection, it could be…an awesomely engraved sign! I do like my glass of red wine at night…




5. Instead of littering the world with old Scrabble tiles, they could be a…cool pendant! This one is really cute, I think. But, for the record, I will NEVER be rid of my Scrabble game–NEVER.




Ok, I’m thinking you get the drift by now. Crafty creative power –> less trash and waste in the world, and cool new things that we can feel good about.

My big contribution to the vision is the simple tin can. What can you do with it? Let me count the possibilities:

1. Poke holes in them (after freezing some water in them) and string them up as mini lanterns. Mine came out horribly ugly, but I’m sure yours will be beautiful…
2. Remove the tops and bottoms and make them into pretty little ornaments like Yours Truly did last Christmas and gave away to everyone. Isn’t that clever? Hmmm
3. Make the tops and bottoms into nifty button pins to go on your market tote – this I have not yet tried, but am still contemplating.
4. Use the ones that have pretty gold coloring on the inside, like mini green chili and olive cans, as fun tea-light holders. OK, pretty idea, but these also get really HOT. Just beware. But they did sparkle oh so nicely on top of the stove at P’s birthday party.
5. ???

Your turn, what else can you do with an old tin can? Actually, are they aluminum now? Got a neat idea? Turn it into a DIY for the weekend!!

katiebyrd is a member of Upcyclers,
an Etsy team whose members Love 2 Upcycle! 
See what she Upcycles in her shops on Etsy: 
 





3 comments:

  1. Now I wanna make lanterns out of tomato sauce cans...coming soon :)
    TY for ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your work. What a creative mind you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog, katiebyrd- you have such a great personality that really comes across in your posts! Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete